Friday 16 September 2011

Exploring Subject Matter - Characters and Expressions

Here are some drawings practicing character, moods and facial expressions.  This is very relevant because in comics and graphic novels, a variety of expressions may need to be used in order to portray what is going on: in the characters minds, during the story, and even to prompt the intonation of something a character is saying.  I have used two of my own, pre-existing characters, Quicksilver and Tisk, to practice this.

Before I show these drawings, I shall give some background information on Quicksilver.

Quicksilver's Background and Character Development

Quicksilver is a character of mine who I created for my own purposes, whom I developed alongside Tisk (the character who I used for the purposes of my Graphics unit 1 final piece (her character development can be seen on my unit 1 blog)).  

Initially, Quicksilver was inspired by Snufkin, a character from Tove Jansson's Moomintroll book series.

(Image of Snufkin by the artist and creator Tove Jansson)

In all honesty, Quicksilver was basically a near-carbon copy of Snufkin in his visual design.  Here are some pictures of Quicksilver's 'old' design that were drawn about a year or two ago:



However, after an image overhaul, Quicksilver developed into his own unique design and character.


Quicksilver (in his current design)



Tisk


No comments:

Post a Comment