Friday 9 September 2011

Drawing characters from "Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?"


Here is a lot of explanation for a very small group of doodles (drawings of characters whose designs I liked in the hopes that they would help inspire me in character development of my own for my unit 3 final piece).  Apologies for the lengthiness of said explanation. 

I very recently found out about a 2002-2003 short-lived cartoon series called “Whatever Happened to Robot Jones” that apparently appeared on Cartoon Network.  


I only have access to watch the pilot episode and one other random episode of the series, but the two characters I actually took a shine to were ones I found out about after watching these two episodes.  They did not feature in the episodes that I have watched, but after doing some research on “Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?”, I became intrigued after seeing/reading small amounts about the show and these two characters.  Their names are Cubey and Mitch.

Apparently these two characters speak and have larger roles in some other episodes in the series, but because I have no access to these episodes, I cannot truly know what their personalities are supposed to be; however, what little I have seen of them, I really like their designs. 

When I decided that I wanted to draw some of the characters from “Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?”, the best reference I could find of them at the time was a small picture from Wikipedia:

(From left to right: Cubey, Socks, Robot Jones, and Shannon.)

Plus, I only found out about the character from the show called Mitch when I read some online discussion about the TV show, and when I searched for the character on Google images, at the time the only drawing that came up was this:

(Unknown artist)


And this:


(Unknown artist)

So with such little to use as reference, I already knew that my first attempts to draw these characters would probably have a lot of flaws and inaccuracies.  

Here are my first drawings of Socks and Robot Jones based off the picture from Wikipedia, drawn straight to paper with pen (without pencil lines):

And here are some pencil sketches of the characters I liked the look of most from the line-up, Cubey:



And Mitch:

When I drew Mitch, I had even less of an idea of what he looked like at the time and a lot of guesswork was used with his design – only until later after I first draw him did I find a better reference, and realise just how inaccurately I had portrayed him:


(An official profile image of the character Mitch, drawn by the character artist for “Whatever Happened to Robot Jones”, respectively.)

1 comment:

  1. the unknown artist 4 that mitch is hazardgirl from tumblr

    ReplyDelete